Frequently Asked Questions:

1. Do I have to be registered with CASLP-NL to practice Speech-Language Pathology or Audiology in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador?

Yes, all Speech-Language Pathologist's and Audiologists working in public or private sectors must be registered. Registration is renewed annually.


2. If I am registering for the first time, what do I need?

You need to fill out the initial registration form (located in the members section). You will be applying for general status, general status (temporary) or non-practicing status (explained on the registration form). You will also need proof that you graduated from an accredited university,  have worked at least 1000 hours in 4 years, a criminal record check, vulnerable sector check, photocopy of picture ID, proof of liability insurance and cheque or money order for the amount due. You need to complete the PHIA and Jurisprudence modules, located in the Quality Assurance/Continuing Education. If you are a new grad, you will need to meet additional requirements, which are outlined in the Registration policies located under Members -> policies.


3. I am currently registered. How and when do I renew?

In the members section, click on renew registration. Renewal is due annually by June 1.


4. I am a student. I will be moving/returning to Newfoundland and Labrador to work. What do I need to do?

Along with the registration requirements listed above, you will need to meet additional requirements, including mentorship. These are outlined in the members section, under Registration policies.


5. What happens if I choose not to, or forget to renew my registration on time?

If you choose not to, or forget to renew your registration and it lapses, there are penalities in place, which are outlined in the Members section under Policies.


6. I am taking time off (i.e. maternity leave), do I still need to register?

Yes. You can register for non-practicing status if you know you won't be practicing for 1 year or more.


7. Is there a discounted fee for part-time or unemployed S-LP/AUDs?

Any S-LP or Audiologist working in NL, no matter what the hours, must register for general status. If you know you are not practicing for 1 year or more, you may register for non-practicing status.


8. How do NLASLPA (professional association) and CASLP-NL differ?

NLASLPA  is a not-for-profit association which represents Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs) and Audiologists (AUDs) in Newfoundland and Labrador. Through the work of its Executive and Committees, NLASLPA supports the professional needs of its members, including continuing education and representation in national organizations.


The College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists Newfoundland and Labrador (CASLP-NL) is part of the Newfoundland and Labrador Council of Health Professionals (NLCHP).  CASLPNL is the regulatory body for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists in the province.  CASLP-NL, through the NLCHP is responsible for protecting and serving the public by regulating the practice of Speech-Language Pathologists and audiologists. Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologist must be registered with CASLP-NL to practice in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.